Preparation Time: 50 minutes
Equipment: French Chef Knife, Cutting Board, Kitchen Machine food cutter, 2-quart (2 L) Saucepan, 6½-qiart ‘Tall’ Stockpot, 6-quart Pasta/Steamer basket
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ small onion, chopped blade #5
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups (360 ml) can Italian plum tomatoes, or fresh plus tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 quarts (4 L) water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 pound (460 g) rigatoni, penne or fusilli, cooked
- 1 tablespoon capers
- ½ cup black olives, chopped
- 3 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- ½ cup Romano cheese, grated blade #1
In the 2-quart (2 L) Saucepan, preheat oil; add onion and garlic, sauté until transparent. Reduce heat to low, add tomatoes, cover (vent open) and simmer 25 minutes.
In the 6 ½-quart Stockpot with 6-quart Pasta/Steamer insert, bring water to a boil, add salt and pasta. Cook until al dente (firm to the bite). Remove Pasta/Steamer insert to drain. Pour pasta into serving bowl.
Add capers, olives, basil and red pepper flakes, to sauce, mix well, and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Pour over pasta, toss gently, and top with grated Romano cheese.
NUTRITIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 371; Fat Grams 16; Carbohydrate Grams 48; Protein Grams 13; Cholesterol mg 101; Sodium mg 326.
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 5; Protein Points 2; Fat Grams 16; Sodium Points 14; Fiber Points 1; Carbohydrate Points 3; Cholesterol Points 10.