Spinach & Cheese Jumbo Shells
Preparation Time: 50 minutes
Equipment: Kitchen Machine food cutter, 6 ½ quart ‘Tall’ Stockpot, 6-quart Pasta/Steamer insert, 3-quart stainless Mixing Bowl
- 1 12 ounce (340 g) box jumbo shells
- 2 pounds (1 kg) ricotta cheese or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded #2 blade
- ½ cup Romano cheese, grated #1 blade
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated black pepper
- 3 eggs, whisked well before adding
- 1 10 ounce (300 g) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 3 cup Marinara Sauce* (see recipe at Stocks & Sauces)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated #1 blade
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
Place 4 quarts of water in the 6 ½-QT Stockpot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Place shells in 6-QT Pasta/Steamer insert, when water boils, place Pasta/Steamer insert with shells inside 6 ½-QT Stockpot, cook 8-10 minutes. Shells should be cooked but firm. Remove Pasta insert and rinse shells under cold water to stop cooking process. Set aside to drain.
In the 3-quart stainless Mixing Bowl combine ricotta and mozzarella cheese, pepper, eggs and spinach, mix well. Fill each shell with approximately 1 tablespoon filling. Cover the bottom of the 13-inch Chef Pan with 1 cup Marinara sauce and place stuffed shell seam-side up in the 13-inch Chef Pan. Cover the shells with the balance of the Marinara sauce. Cook over medium-low heat 20-25 minutes.
To serve: top with Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with parsley.
Marinara sauce is not included in nutritional breakdown. See recipe at “Stocks & Sauces”.
NUTRITIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 291; Fat Grams 10; Carbohydrate Grams 25; Protein Grams 23; Cholesterol mg 24; Sodium mg 704.
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 4; Protein Points 3; Fat Grams 10; Sodium Points 31; Fiber Points 1; Carbohydrate Points 1 ½; Cholesterol Points 2.