SENSATIONAL SEAFOOD PASTA by Chef Charles Knight©
EQUIPMENT: 11-inch sauté skillet or 5Qt Stockpot or 3-piece pasta Pentola set, cutting board, French Chef’s knife
PREPARATION TIME: 45 minutes – Makes 4 servings
NOTE: I use canned clams and crabmeat for the liquor (the juice) it provides the flavor and the volume of liquid necessary for a perfect sauce. I prefer fresh peeled and deveined.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, minced
- 5 or 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, mince fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh mind, chopped
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- ¾ cup of white wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 to 2 teaspoon red pepper seeds (optional)
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 6-ounce can chop clams in liquor
- 1 6-ounce can crabmeat with liquid
- 1-pound fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, ½ reserved
- Fresh basil for garnish
- ½ pound thin spaghetti
In a hot sauté skillet over medium heat (induction 325°F), sauté the onions in olive oil and butter until slightly translucent, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and fresh herbs and continue to sauté until onions and garlic are slightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the paste turns reddish-brown in color; 3 to 5 minutes. Do not allow the residue that forms on the bottom of the pan to burn.
Slowly stir in the white wine to deglaze the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half. Add Italian seasoning, red pepper seeds, sugar, clams, and crab. Stir in a ½ cup of parmesan cheese. Continue to cook until sauce thickens, 12 to 15 minutes stir occasionally.
While the sauce is cooking prepare pasta by adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to boiling water. Add pasta and cook al dente. When the pasta is cooked drain. Add to sauce and toss.
Serve in pasta bowls and top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.