EQUIPMENT: 5Qt Stockpot or 3-piece pasta Pentola set, cutting board, French Chef’s knife
PREPARATION TIME: 45 minutes – Makes 4 to 6 servings.
NOTE: I use canned clams and crab meat for the liquor (the juice) it provides the flavor and the volume of liquid necessary for a perfect sauce. I prefer fresh peeled and deveined shrimp.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil- NOT THE GREEN STUFF
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, minced.
- 7 cloves garlic, minced.
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped.
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, mince fine or dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped.
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped.
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped.
- 1 teaspoon red pepper seeds (2 teaspoons if you like)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste.
- ¾ cup of port wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 28 ounce can peel tomatoes "Cento."
- 4 6-ounce can chop clams in liquor.
- 3 6-ounce can crabmeat with liquid
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, ½ reserved.
- 1/2-pound fresh shrimp peeled and deveined.
- Fresh basil for garnish
- 1-pound thin spaghetti
In a hot stockpot over medium heat 275°F, sauté the onions in olive oil and butter until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and continue to cook until onions are caramelized slightly browned. Stir in the herbs and hot pepper seeds.
Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the paste turns reddish-brown in color; 5 to 7 minutes. Do not allow the residue that forms on the bottom of the pan to burn.
Slowly stir in the port wine to deglaze the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by about one-third. Add tomatoes, clams, and crab with liquid. Stir in a ½ cup of parmesan cheese. Reduce the heat to low 200ᵒF and continue to cook until the sauce thickens, about 45 minutes stir occasionally. Add the shrimp and cook for another 15 minutes.
While the sauce is cooking prepare pasta in boiling water over medium-high heat 375ᵒF. Add pasta and cook al dente. When the pasta is cooked drain. Do not rinse the pasta. Add the sauce and toss.
Serve in pasta bowls and top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil.