PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes – Makes 4 servings.
CLASSIC RED CLAM SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, minced.
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste, Cento is the best.
- ¾ cup of the best Chianti wine
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon red pepper seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 29-ounce can LaMonica chopped sea clams, LaMonica brand.
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound linguini pasta
In a hot pan over medium heat (induction 275°F to 325°F), sauté the onions in olive oil and butter until slightly translucent, 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions and garlic are slightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. NOTE: you can dry sauté the onions and garlic without oil and butter without burning, but only in a high-quality stainless pan like Health Craft.
Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the paste turns reddish-brown in color; 3 to 5 minutes. Do not allow the residue that forms on the bottom of the pan to burn.
Stir in the Chianti slowly and bring to a simmer until reduced by half. Add Italian seasoning, red pepper seeds, sugar, clams, and salt (if using). Continue to cook until sauce thickens, 12 to 15 minutes.
While the sauce is cooking prepare linguini by adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to boiling water. Add pasta and cook al dente.