Linguini with Red Clam Sauce copyright - all rights reserved Chef Charles Knight
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped #2 blade
- 7 cloves garlic, minced fine
- ¾ cup sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, chopped (CENTO Brand)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- ¾ cup Port or Chianti red wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar (if not using Port wine)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, or fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried, or fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper seeds
- 5 6½ ounce cans chopped clams and liquid
- ¼ cup Parmesano Reggiano cheese, grated #1 cutting cone
- 1 pound linguine pasta, cooked al dente
- ¾ cup Parmesano Reggiano cheese, grated #1 cutting cone
- Fresh basil, chopped
In the 5-quart Saucepan sauté onion and garlic in unsalted butter over medium heat until tender and lightly browned (caramelized), 8 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add sun dried tomatoes with olive oil. (There should be enough olive oil with the sun dried tomatoes to brown the paste). Add tomato paste and fry until sun dried tomatoes and tomato paste turns Indian red. Tomato mixture will leave residue on bottom of pan, be sure to stir to prevent from burning. De glaze the pan with wine and cook down until tomato wine mixture thickens and alcohol is cooked off.
Add sugar (if using), herbs and spices, mix well and simmer uncovered 25 to 30 minutes or until reduced by one-third. Stir occasionally. Add clams, mix, and simmer an additional 15 to 20 minutes. To thicken, stir in Parmigiano cheese.
To serve: Place a small amount Parmigiano cheese on the serving plate, then swirl the linguine onto the plate. Smother with Red Clam Sauce and top with grated cheese and fresh basil.