Pork & Pumpkin Stew
PREPRATION TIME: 1 Hour - make 6 servings
EQUIPMENT: French chef knife, Cutting Board, Kitchen Machine food cutter, 6-quart Stockpot
- 1 ½ pound (700 g) pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1 ½-inch (4 cm) cubes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped #2 blade
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 ounce (400 g) can crushed tomatoes, or 1 ½ pounds plum tomato, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup (240 ml) defatted reduced-sodium chicken stock, or homemade chicken stock
- ½ cup (120 ml) dry white wine
- ½ teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped (or dried)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound (460 g) fresh pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) chunks (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (pepitas) lightly toasted (optional)
Preheat 6-quart Stockpot (6 L) over medium-high heat. Add pork cubes to pan, browning on all sides, transferring to plate. Reduce heat to low, add oil and cumin, sauté 30 seconds, add onion and garlic, sauté 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, wine, oregano, red pepper flakes and reserved pork. Cover with vent open, and continue to cook over low heat 30 minutes.
Dissolve cornstarch in water, add to stew to thicken, stirring gently. Add cilantro or parsley, and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with rice, garnished with toasted pumpkin seeds.
NUTRITIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 314; Fat Grams 13; Carbohydrate Grams 18; Protein Grams 30; Cholesterol mg 65; Sodium mg 222.
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 4; Protein Points 4; Fat Grams 13; Sodium Points 10; Fiber Points 1; Carbohydrate Points 1; Cholesterol Points 6.