Pasta é Fagioli "Pasta Fazool"
As seen on Harris & Co. LIVE WFLA-TV 8 from Brandon Town Center (see video)
With Jack Harris, Kim Goddard & Chef Charles Knight
PREPARATION TIME: 40 Minutes – Makes 6 to 8 servings
EQUIPMENT: French chef’s knife, cutting board, measuring cup and spoons, 5n1 cooker or 5Qt. Soup Pot and Kitchen Machine food cutter.
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine Kitchen Machine #2 cone
- 1 medium carrot, Julienne Kitchen Machine #2 cone
- 1 stalk celery, grated Kitchen Machine #1
- 2 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1 green or red bell pepper, diced or roasted red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup tomato paste, or roasted tomatoes
- ½ pound Italian sausage (Johnsonville or Jimmy Dean)
- ½ teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups homemade Chicken Stock (pg. 217 Healthy Meat and Potatoes)
- 4 cups cooked white (cannellini) beans in liquid, homemade or canned
- ¼ cup tagliatelle or ditalini pasta
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 fresh basil leaves, cut into 1/4-inch strips
In a hot, or 5qt stockpot over medium heat 350°F (180°C), dry sauté onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper and garlic until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add tomato paste, or roasted tomatoes, sauté until cooked to a deep brown. Stir occasionally.
Add Italian sausage, sauté until cooked. About 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add thyme and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine.
Slowly stir in the chicken stock. Add beans, pasta, and vinegar. Reduce heat to medium-low 200°F (93°C) cover the pan and open the vent simmer until pasta is al dente, about 30 minutes. Do not allow soup to boil.
To serve, ladle the soup into soup bowl or tureen and top with the Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve with warm garlic bread.