Serves: 12 – 1 cup servings
Equipment: French chef knife, Cutting Board, Kitchen Machine food cutter, 4-quart Stockpot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped #2 blade
- 1 12-ounce (345 g) tomato paste
- ½ cup (120 ml) red wine
- 5 cups (1.25 L) water
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, or fresh, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano dried, or fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 14.5 ounces (435 g) can diced tomatoes, or 2 pounds plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
In the 4-quart Stockpot (4 L utensil) sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender, 5-7 minutes. Add tomato paste and fry until tomato paste turns Indian red. Tomato paste will leave residue on bottom of pan, be sure to stir to prevent from burning. Deglaze pan with wine and cook down until tomato wine mixture thickens and alcohol is cooked off.
Add water and spices, mix well and simmer uncovered 30-45 minutes or until reduced by one-third. Add tomatoes, mix, and simmer an additional 15-20 minutes.
NUTRITIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 73; Fat Grams 3; Carbohydrate Grams 9; Protein Grams 1; Cholesterol mg 0; Sodium mg 330.
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 1; Protein Points 0; Fat Grams 3; Sodium Points 14; Fiber Points 0; Carbohydrate Points ½; Cholesterol Points 0.