Mardi-Gras Family Omelet
- ½ pound (230 g) Italian sausage, removed from casing (Johnsonville recommended)
- 1 tablespoon beef broth or homemade beef stock (see Stocks & Sauces)
- ½ green pepper, seeded and sliced
- ½ red pepper, seeded and sliced
- 6 mushrooms, sliced #4 blade (lay mushrooms sideways in hopper to slice)
- 8 eggs or 16 egg whites or equivalent egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded #2 blade
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded #2 blade
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
In a preheated 10-inch Chef Pan, brown sausage over medium-high heat, drain sausage on paper towels.
In a preheated 13-inch (33 cm) Chef Pan Sauté peppers and mushrooms in beef broth over medium heat until softened, remove to side dish.
In the 3-quart Mixing Bowl whisk eggs with milk. Melt butter in 13-inch Chef Pan over medium heat, add beaten eggs and cook 10 minutes or until eggs are almost set. To one side of the omelet, add peppers and mushrooms, tomatoes, and half the cheese. Using a flexible spatula, flip omelet over vegetables; top with remaining cheese. Cover (close vent), reduce to low heat, and cook an additional 5 minutes. Top with chopped green onions, and serve from pan, or slide onto oval platter.
NOTE: Nutritional breakdown uses egg substitutes.
NUTRITIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 216; Fat Grams 15; Carbohydrate Grams 6; Protein Grams 13; Cholesterol mg 44; Sodium mg 631.
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 3; Protein Points 2; Fat Grams 15; Sodium Points 27; Fiber Points 1; Carbohydrate Points ½; Cholesterol Points 4.