Yields: 20 meatballs
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Equipment: French chef knife, Cutting Board, Kitchen Machine food cutter, 6-quart Stockpot, large stainless Mixing Bowl, Large Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, peeled and chopped #2 blade
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 16 ounce (460 g) cans whole tomatoes, or 3 pounds plum tomatoes peeled and seeded
- 1 cup (240 ml) tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon oregano, fresh or dried
- ½ pound (230 g) mushrooms, sliced #4 blade (turn mushroom on side in hopper to slice)
- 1 pound (460 g) ground chuck
- ½ pound (230 g) ground pork or veal
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated #1 blade
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
Preheat 6-quart Stockpot over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add olive oil, and sauté onions, green pepper and garlic until softened. Add all remaining ingredients, mix well, reduce the heat to low, cover with vent open, and simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
In large mixing bowl, combine ground chuck, pork or veal, cheese, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, and garlic. Mix thoroughly, and form into twenty 1 ½-inch (2.5 cm) size meatballs.
Preheat skillet over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle a few drops of water in the pan. If the water droplets dance, the pan is ready. If the water evaporates, the pan is not hot enough. Place the meatballs in the hot, dry pan, which will be about 400°F (200°C). Cover the pan, and open the vent and dry sauté until meatballs release easily from the skillet, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the meatballs, cover the pan and brown on other side until meatballs release easily from the skillet, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat the process until meatballs are browned on all sides. Remove from pan to sauce.
Remove excess grease from skillet, deglaze skillet with 1-2 cup of sauce, simmer for 5 minutes, and add to sauce. Stir.
To Serve: To Serve: Spoon Italian Meatballs and sauce over pasta or serve with risotto, or serve on Italian bread for meatball sandwich.
NUTRITIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 280; Fat Grams 13; Carbohydrate Grams 19; Protein Grams 21; Cholesterol mg 52; Sodium mg 473.
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 4; Protein Points 3; Fat Grams 13; Sodium Points 20 ½; Fiber Points 1; Carbohydrate Points 1½; Cholesterol Points 5.