Award Winning Gourmet Chili by Chef Charles Knight
Equipment: 5-quart mixing bowl, 8-quart stockpot, large sauté skillet,
1 hour 15 minutes – makes about 7 quarts
- 2 23oz cans Cento crushed tomatoes
- 2 8oz cans diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar (if tomatoes are high in acidity)
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 to 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon BADA Complete Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 strips thick bacon diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium bell peppers diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeño pepper diced (or more if you like hot)
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup Red Ale or another fine beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground brisket
- 1 pound ground sirloin or Jimmy Dean Italian Sausage
- 3 16oz cans red kidney beans (optional see notes on Chili Cookoffs)
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 Jalapenos pepper, sliced
Note: In Chili Cookoffs beans of any kind are not permitted. However, many like beans in their chili. Try it both ways.
In the mixing bowl, add canned tomatoes, sugar, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Mix well and set aside. NOTE: If tomatoes are high in acidity add 1/8 teaspoon Baking Soda.
In the 8-quart stockpot over medium-high 375ᵒF heat, sauté bacon, onions, garlic and peppers in bacon grease and butter until slightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes, stir occasionally.
Reduce to medium heat 275ᵒF. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring until the paste turns reddish-brown in color, 6 to 8 minutes. Do not allow the residue that forms on the bottom of the pan to burn.
Add the Ale or Beer to deglaze the pan and reduce by half. Stirring occasionally to burn off the alcohol. Add beef stock and coffee to mixture. Stir to combine.
Add the tomato and spice mixture and mix well. Reduce the heat to a simmer 200ᵒF.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat 375ᵒF sauté beef and sausage until browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add cooked meat to tomato sauce. Mix well and simmer, about 45-minutes. Stir occasionally. Add beans (if using).
To serve: top with grated cheese, sour cream, and sliced jalapeno peppers.