EQUIPMENT: Loaf pan, 3-quart mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, whisk
PREPARATION: 1½ hours – Yield 1 loaf
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour or cake flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger or fresh
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Allspice (optional)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1cup molasses
- ½ cup hot water (filtered or purified)
- 1egg beaten
- Unsalted butter to grease the loaf pan
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for topping
Heat oven to 325°F.
Grease and flour bottom and sides of square pan, 9x6x2.5-inch loaf pan.
In the mixing bowl combine dry ingredients mix well.
In a 1-quart Pyrex measuring cup, melt the butter in the microware. Add the molasses to the melted butter and whisk vigorously to combine. Add ½ cup of hot water and mix vigorously again. (DO NOT USE Chlorinated Tap Water as it may deactivate the baking soda).
Add the molasses and butter mixture to the dry ingredients along with the beaten egg and whisk to combine, scraping the bowl occasionally to be sure all ingredients are incorporated. Whisk by hand for about 3 minutes.
Pour the gingerbread mixture into the buttered loaf pan and top with lemon zest.
Allow the batter to rest 15 to 20 minutes before baking. This step is very important – allowing the batter to rest before baking will activate the baking powder, and you will get a better rise.
Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
Top with powdered sugar and serve with creamcheese,