Gator Hushpuppies by Dottie Weakland
Makes: 20 to 25 hushpuppies
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
Equipment: 6-quart roaster/saucepan, portable induction cooktop, 11-inch sauté skillet, mixing bowl, slotted spoon
- 2 quarts pure golden olive oil, for deep frying
- ½ pound gator meat, minced
- 1 15 ounce can cream corn.
- 2 eggs beaten.
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced.
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon, Simply Organic Adobo Seasoning
In the 6-quart roaster/saucepan, heat oil to 360°F (182°C). In the 11-inch skillet sauté gator meat until cooked through and set aside, 7 to 8 minutes. In a mixing bowl, combine all other ingredients, mix well. Add sautéed gator and stir to blend. Let stand for about 20 minutes. Using a serving spoon scoop tablespoon size pieces of batter and gently drop them into the oil. Cook hushpuppies, 8 to 10 at a time till golden brown. Set on paper towels to drain.
Serve with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce, use sparingly so you can really taste the excellent flavor.