Dad never cooked a lick, not even a hot dog at Mom's famous summer picnics. He did create this wonderful, simple salad that has been a big hit in our family for more than 70 years. He even grew the cucumbers in our backyard in Rahway, New Jersey.
EQUIPMENT: French chef's knife or food cutter (slicing cone blade), cutting board and salad bowl. Order the Health Craft Kitchen Machine Food Cutter HERE or clickon photo. Enter coupon code WEBPROMO at checkout for an additional discount.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 Minutes - Makes 7 to 8 servings
- 2 large cucumbers, scored but not peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium white onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, or julienned #2 cutting cone blade
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, or julienned #2 cutting cone blade
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
In a mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients except pepper and parsley. Cover and chill for a least 1 hour before service.
To serve, drain off the liquid and reserve. Place the cucumber and onion slices on individual salad plates. Top with 1 tablespoon of liquid and garnish with the pepper and parsley.
PER SERVING: 29 Calories, 1g Fat (27% calories from fat (, 0.7g Protein, 5g Carbohydrates, 0mg Cholesterol, 70mg Sodium.