Company Tossed Salad
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Equipment: French chef knife, Cutting Board, Kitchen Machine food cutter, 8-inch Gourmet Skillet
- 1 large head green leaf or romaine lettuce
- 3 strips bacon, sliced ¼-inch (0.5 cm)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar dressing
- 5 mushrooms, sliced #4 blade
- Homemade croutons (recipe below)
Clean and dry greens in salad spinner or on paper towels, refrigerate covered with damp paper towels. Tear or cut greens prior to mixing with other ingredients.
Cook bacon and garlic together in 8-inch Gourmet Skillet over medium-high heat. When done, remove from skillet with slotted spoon, drain on paper towels. Set skillet with drippings aside.
Just prior to serving, heat bacon drippings, deglaze pan with prepared dressing. Pour over mixed greens and mushrooms, toss well.
To Serve: Divide between individual salad plates and top with bacon bits and homemade croutons.
NUTRIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 94; Fat Grams 5; Carbohydrate Grams 10; Protein Grams ½; Cholesterol mg 5; Sodium mg 180.
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 0; Protein Points 4; Fat Grams 5; Sodium Points 8; Fiber Points 0; Carbohydrate Points ½; Cholesterol Points ½.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons of low calorie margarine or unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 slices toasted bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, #1 blade
Melt margarine or butter in small skillet. Add basil, parsley, and pepper. Place cubed bread in plastic bag with Parmesan cheese. Pour margarine (butter) mixture over bread and shake to coat.
NOTE: can be stored in plastic bag in refrigerator up to one week.