Chinese “Not Fried” Rice
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
Equipment: French chef knife, Cutting Board, Kitchen Machine food cutter, 2-quart Saucepan
- ½ cup onion, peeled and chopped #2 blade
- 2 cups (480 ml) chicken broth, or homemade chicken stock (see Stocks & Sauces)
- 1 tablespoon dry Sherry, or dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain or brown rice
- ½ cup green onions, diagonally sliced
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
In the 2-quart (2 L utensil) Saucepan over medium heat, dry sauté onion until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock, sherry, soy sauce, sesame seed oil and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in rice, cover (vent closed) reduce the heat to low, cook 25-30 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in green onions and pine nuts.
NUTRITIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 86; Fat Grams 2; Carbohydrate Grams 1; Protein Grams 3; Cholesterol mg 0; Sodium mg 432.
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 1; Protein Points 0; Fat Grams 2; Sodium Points 19; Fiber Points 0; Carbohydrate Points 2; Cholesterol Points ½.