There are many theories as to the origin of gazpacho, including a soup made of bread, olive oil, water, vinegar, and garlic introduced by the Romans. Once in Spain, it became a part of southern cuisine, particularly in the Castilian Kingdoms of Córdoba, Seville, and Granada. During the 19th century, red gazpacho was created when tomatoes were introduced from the Americas. This version spread internationally and remains commonly known as a cold tomato-based soup till this day.
EQUIPMENT: Commercial Blender, Rotary Food Cutter, Chef's Knife, Cutting Board, 5 Qt. Stockpot with Lid.
PREPARATION TIME: 1 1/2 to 2 hours - Makes 6 to 8 servings.
- 1 48 ounce low-sodium V-8 or Tomato Juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced.
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 large tomato, chopped (1/4 reserved)
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped (1/4 reserved)
- 1 cucumber, julienne #2 cutting cone (1/4 reserved)
- 1 large white onion, quartered chopped #5 cutting cone (1/4 reserved)
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 1 Avocado skinned, pitted and cubed
- 16 grilled shrimp
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 8 to 10 fresh basil or mint leaves (1/2 reserved)
Add grilled shrimp and sliced avocado for a special touch
Add half of all ingredients (except green onions, sour cream and 1/2 basil) to the blender and liquefy. Pour the mixture into the 5 Qt. soup pot, add the balance of the ingredients mix well and cover. Place the soup pot in the refrigerator and chill, about 1 hour. The conductive multi-ply pan will conduct cold as well as it does heat. If not using Health Craft cookware chill for 2 to 3 hours.
To serve, ladle chilled Gazpacho into serving bowls or whiskey glasses, top with reserved vegetables, green onions, sour cream, and basil or mint.
Add grilled shrimp, chopped avocado and sliced Jalapenos for a special touch. Another option would be to top the Gazpacho with a combined portion of the horseradish and sour cream.
Questions? Call or Text the Chef 1-813-390-1144