Caldo Gallego (Galician Stew) Spanish Bean Soup
See video Healthy Cooking with Jack Harris, Kim Goddard & Charles Knight
EQUIPMENT: 5-quart Stockpot
PREPARATION TIME: 1 Hour – Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons golden olive oil (no virgins)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1 pound ham hocks, diced
- 1 cup chardonnay wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 white potatoes, diced
- 2 chorizo sausage links, sliced
- 3 cans Garbanzos beans or Cannellini beans with liquid
- 2 cans collard greens with liquid
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Crystal Hot Sauce to taste
- Bouquet Garni
In the stockpot, lightly brown carrots, pepper, and onions in olive oil over medium heat 300°F (150°C). Add garlic and diced ham hocks and continue to sauté until caramelized. Deglaze the pan with white wine and continue to sauté until liquid thickens.
To the stockpot add the chicken stock, potatoes, chorizo, beans with liquid, and collard greens with liquid, pepper, vinegar, and Bouquet Garni. Reduce the heat to 210°F (99°C) and simmer, 30 to 40 minutes.
Note: If using homemade beans and collard green, add appropriate amount of chicken stock, about 1½ to 2 cups.
Serve with Cuban bread