Buttermilk Pancakes Homemade from Scratch
Yes, you can even make homemade buttermilk by simply adding 1 tablespoon Apple Cider vinegar to 1 cup whole milk, and it’s better than store bought!
Nothing says "breakfast" like homemade Buttermilk Pancakes. You can whip up my quick and easy recipe in just a few minutes, from scratch.
3 Simple techniques for moist and tasty pancakes:
- Do not over mix. Use a fork to mix batter 10 to 12 turns.
- For light and fluffy pancakes, eggs, butter, and milk, should be at room temperature.
- Because egg yolks are an emulsifier that binds water and fat together, adding an extra egg yolk to the batter enables the batter to hold extra liquid and, sugar. This helps create a moister and sweeter pancake that will still bake up with a good structure rather than a gooey mass.
PREPARATION TIME 30 Minutes – Makes 10 to 12 pancakes
EQUIPMENT: Small and medium size mixing bowl, whisk, fork, measuring cups and spoons, square griddle or Double griddle.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white distilled vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, level
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened or vegetable or canola oil
- Enough oil or unsalted butter to keep the pancakes from sticking.
- Assorted toppings, butter, maple syrup, honey, jams, or jellies.
- Add vinegar to milk stir and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees; have a stainless cake or pie pan ready to keep cooked pancakes warm in the oven.
- Dry ingredients. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Wet ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter (or oil), and egg.
- Add dry ingredients to milk mixture; and mix with a fork until just moistened (do not overmix; a few small lumps are fine).
- Heat the griddle over medium 275ᵒ Using a paper towel, moisten it with oil or softened butter; carefully oil the surface of the skillet with the oiled paper towel.
- To cook the pancakes, spoon about tablespoons of batter onto griddle, and cook until bubble appear on the surface, about 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, and cook util browned on the other side 2 to 3 minutes
- Transfer to a bakeware; cover with aluminum foil and keep warm in oven. Continue with more oil and remaining batter.
- Serve warm, with desired toppings.