Blarney Stone Stew
Preparation Time: 1 ½ hours
- 2 pounds (920 g) beef stew meat, trimmed of fat, and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 2 cups (480 ml) dry red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely minced (or dried, crushed)
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme, finely minced (or dried, crushed)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, grated on Kitchen Machine #1 blade
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 12 carrot slices, sliced on Kitchen Machine#4 blade
- 6 pearl onions, peeled and halved
- 6 new or red potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup mushrooms, slice on Kitchen Machine#4 blade (lay sideways in hopper to slice)
- 1 small head red cabbage, shredded on Kitchen Machine#5 blade
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 15 ounce (425 g) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Preheat 4-quart Stockpot over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle a few drops of water in the pan. If the water droplets dance, the pan is ready. If the water evaporates, the pan is not hot enough. Place the stew beef in the hot, dry skillet, which will be about 400°F (200°C). Cover the pan, and open the vent and dry sauté until stew beef releases easily from the pan, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the stew beef, cover the pan and brown on other side until beef release easily from the skillet, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat the process until beef is browned on all sides.
Deglaze 4-quart Stockpot with wine; add garlic, rosemary, thyme, orange zest, pepper, ½ cup water. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover with the vent open and simmer one hour.
Add carrots, onions, potatoes, mushrooms, and stewed tomatoes, cover and continue to cook 30 to 40 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
Combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water, mix well, and add to stew.
To Serve: Ladle stew into individual serving bowl, top with snipped parsley, and serve with Irish Soda bread (see recipe at Stove Top Baking).
NUTRITIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 252; Fat Grams 4; Carbohydrate Grams 26; Protein Grams 22; Cholesterol mg 47; Sodium mg 176.
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 3 ½; Protein Points 3; Fat Grams 4; Sodium Points 8; Fiber Points 2; Carbohydrate Points 1½; Cholesterol Points 5.