Beef with Broccoli
Preparation Time: 1 hour 15 minutes - Makes 6 servings
Equipment: French Skillet, 3-quart Saucepan, French chef knife, Cutting Board, Kitchen Machine food cutter, large Mixing Bowl, Paring knife, small Mixing Bowl
- 3 cups cooked rice, white or brown
- 1 pound lean round steak
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (or homemade roux)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons reduce-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- ½ cup chicken broth (or homemade chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated #1 blade
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper cut it julienne strips
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Prepare rice in 3-quart Saucepan according to package directions.
Partially freeze steak; slice diagonally across grain into ¼-inch strips.
In large mixing bowl, combine 1 tablespoon dry sherry, 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, stir well. Add steak, tossing gently; cover and marinate in refrigerate 1 hour.
With a paring knife, trim broccoli and remove tough ends of lower stalks. Cut off florets, set aside. Slice stalks in ¼-inch strips, set aside.
In small mixing bowl, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1 tablespoon dry sherry, stir well. Add chicken stock, hoisin sauce, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and white pepper; stir well and set aside.
Preheat French Skillet over medium-high heat, add safflower oil; allow to heat 1 minute. Add ginger and garlic, stir fry about 20-30 seconds. Add beef and marinade, stir fry 1 minute. Add broccoli and red peppers, stir fry 2-3 minutes to desired doneness. Add cornstarch mixture and continue to stir. Reduce heat to low, cover with vent closed, and cook 2 minutes or until mixture slightly thickens.
To Serve: Spoon beef with broccoli over rice.
NUTRITIONAL BREAKDOWN PER SERVING: Calories 343; Fat Grams 9; Carbohydrate Grams 36; Protein Grams 31; Cholesterol mg 64; Sodium mg 348 (209 with homemade Chicken Stock).
THE POINT SYSTEM: Calorie Points 4 ½; Protein Points 4; Fat Grams 9; Sodium Points 15; Fiber Points 2 ½; Carbohydrate Points 2 ½; Cholesterol Points 6.