Beef Stroganoff - Healthy Cooking with Bill Clinton (Tim Waters), Jack Harris & Charles Knight
Equipment: cutting board, Chef’s knife, Rotary Food Cutter, large conventional skillet or electric skillet
- 1 1/2 pounds lean beef flank steak (tenderized and cut into thin strips)
- 1 onion thinly sliced or julienne, #2 cutting cone
- 2 garlic cloves, minced fine
- ¼ cup Chardonnay wine
- ¾ cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or Dale’s seasoning (optional as it is salty)
- 8 ounces mushroom, sliced #4 cutting cone
- 2 ounces pimentos, diced
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk or unsalted butter
- Dash of paprika
- 1 tablespoon Crystal Hot Sauce or Tabasco
- Pepper to taste
- Cooked egg noodles
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
Preheat the skillet over medium-high heat. Dry sauté beef strips until browned. Add onions and garlic and continue to sauté until caramelized. Note: Dry sautéing leaves a fond on the pan that can be turned into wonderful flavoring.
Deglaze the pan with wine. Wine the alcohol burns off, add the beef broth (soy sauce optional) and reduce the heat to medium. Add mushrooms and pimentos. Cook 10 to 15 minutes, stir.
Reduce the heat to low, add sour cream, buttermilk or butter, paprika and hot sauce.
Serve over egg noodles and top with parsley.