EQUIPMENT: French chef’s knife, measuring cup and spoons and Ultra-Tech II 2-quart covered saucepan
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes – Makes about 2 cups
- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, minced fine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced fine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups strong coffee
- ½ cup Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
In a hot, dry saucepan over medium heat 270°F (132°C), dry sauté the bacon, onions and garlic until slightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomato paste to the saucepan and cook, stirring until the paste turns reddish-brown in color, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not allow the residue that forms on the bottom of the pan to burns.
Slowly stir in the coffee. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pan, open the Ultra-Temp control and whistle vent and simmer, 20 to 25 minutes.
Serve with any recipe that calls for barbecue sauce.
PER TABLESPOON: 31 Calories, 0g Fat (0.8% calories from fat), 0.2g Protein, 8g Carbohydrates, 0mg Cholesterol, 16mg Sodium.
VARIATION – for a smoky flavor, add 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke, which adds 17mg Sodium.