BANG BANG SHRIMP Appetizer - One of our most requested recipes
LeAnn created this recipe... she's an excellent cook but not real good at measuring and writing things down. She doesn't like to give up secrets either. It's a Sicilian thing. SO..... I did this best I could getting a confession out of her. Let me know what you think.
EQUIPMENT: medium size mixing bowl, 11-inch Sauté Skillet or Oil Core Electric Skillet, shallow bowl for dredging, serving bowl
Made 4 Servings -
- 20 to 24 shrimp fresh deveined and peeled or frozen
- 2 cups buttermilk (enough to cover the shrimp)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Salt and pepper as desired
- 1 tablespoon Garlic powder
- Lard of olive oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha hot sauce for medium (more of less depending on how hot you like it)
- 2 to 3 White parts of scallions, sliced on a bias
- Green scallion top, sliced
In a medium size mixing bowl, marinate shrimp in Buttermilk one to two hours in the refrigerator covered (tenderizes and enhances flavor).
While the shrimp are marinating, prepare the sauce by combining mayonnaise, Thai sweet chili sauce, Sriracha hot sauce and white scallions. Mix well and set aside for flavors to combine.
Place cornstarch in a shallow bowl and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and mix well.
Bring oil or lard to temperature in the sauté skillet or electric skillet 375ᵒF
Using the wet hand dry hand technique, one at a time, shake off excess buttermilk from shrimp place in cornstarch. Coat with your dry hand and place in hot oil. Work quickly. Cook to a golden brown 2 ½ to 3 minutes. Place on wire rack.
Place cooked shrimps in a large serving bowl add the sauce and toss, reserving about one-third the sauce for dipping. Top with green scallions and serve.