REFRESHING FIVE BEAN SALAD
EQUIPMENT: 3 Qt. with steamer strainer, mixing bowls, Kitchen Machine, cutting board, chef’s knife
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes, chill 2 – 3 hours
- 1 (15 ounce) can Bush mixed beans (Pinto & Great Northern), drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can Bush field peas with snaps, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can Bush black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Red onion, jullienne cut (Cutting Cone #2)
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2-cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-tablespoon sugar or honey
- 1/2-teaspoon ground dry mustard or Dijon
- 1-tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4-teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2-teaspoon hot red pepper seeds (optional)
- 1/4-cup extra virgin olive oil
Drain the beans through the 2 Qt. strainer into the 3 Qt. and reserves the liquid for future recipes. Rinse the beans under cold running water and drain.
In a bowl, gently mix the garbanzo beans, kidney beans, green beans, onion and pepper.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, mustard, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and red pepper seeds. Set aside for 5 to 10 minutes before whisking in olive oil.
Pour dressing over the salad, and toss gently to coat. Cover, refrigerate at least 2 hours, and gently toss before serving.
Health Note: homemade beans are healthier because there is a lot less sodium. See directions for preparing Homemade Beans on page 30 Healthy Meat and Potatoes cookbook.