HOT BACON SLAW
Equipment: Large Sauté Skillet, Rotary Food Cutter, Wooden Spoon
- ½ pound BACON julienne sliced
- 1 teaspoon CARAWAY SEEDS optional
- 1 medium ONION julienne #2 Cutting Cone
- 4 cloves GARLIC, sliced thin #4 Cutting Cone
- ¾ cup CHARDONNAY WINE
- 1 tablespoon DIJON MUSTARD
- 1 teaspoon MAPLE SYRUP or BROWN SUGAR
- ½ head GREEN CABBAGE sliced #4 Cutting Cone
- ¼ head RED CABBAGE #4 Cutting Cone
- SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE
In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté the bacon, caraway seeds, onion and garlic, until bacon is crisp and onions caramelized, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir occasionally. Drain excess fat.
Carefully pour in the Chardonnay wine to deglaze the pan. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the mustard and maple syrup. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits in the bottom of the skillet.
Add the cabbage and stir to combine. Return to medium heat burner. Cover with the vent open. When vapor escapes and/or the whistle sounds, close the vent and reduce the heat to low. Cook 15 to 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.