Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
PREPARATION TIME: 1½-2 hours – Makes 6 servings
- 1 (21⁄2 - 3 pound) point cut corned beef brisket with spice pack
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 6 stalks celery, cut 1 inch
- 4-5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3-4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 3 cups chicken stock, or water
- 6 small to medium Sunlite low-carb potatoes, or red potatoes, cut in half
- 3 carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1½ pound head of cabbage cut into 6 wedges
- 3 small turnips, brushed clean and quartered
- horseradish sauce (optional)
Place corned beef, spice packet contents, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaves, peppercorns, thyme, parsley and chicken stock into pressure cooker. Cͦͦover with the lid and lock in push plate.
Turn the pressure regulator to 2 for high pressure and cook on 420˚F/216˚C (High-9) for 1 hour. Once cooking time is complete, quick release steam by moving pressure regulator to steam release position.
Unlock push plate. Remove corned beef, and onions, and place in covered dish or wrap in foil to keep warm. Discard celery, bay leaf, thyme and parsley sprigs.
To the pressure cooker, add potatoes, carrots and cabbage wedges to remaining liquid. Replace lid and lock push plate. Turn pressure regulator to 2 and cook on 420˚F/216˚C (High-9) for 15 - 17 minutes. Once cooking time is complete, quick release steam by moving pressure regulator to steam release position.
Unlock push plate, and add corned beef and onions back into pressure cooker and cook on 420˚F/216˚C (High-9), covered for 5 - 7 minutes.
To serve, always cut corned beef against the grain to ensure meat is tender. Arrange vegetables on a platter around corned beef, and serve with spicy mustard and/or horseradish sauce.